Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Punk Trip to Taipei and Kuala Lumpur (Feb,2011) Part 2!!!





Here I come!! Kuala Lumpur!!! I went through immigration. I think most of immigration officers are fucking cunty cunt shit but KL one was different!! I am not being shallow bitch here but fucking my officer was the most handsome officer I’ve ever met in my travel history(maybe just for my taste??). And he was totally smiled at me, winked and asked sort of private questions puhahahhaha!!! I was almost about to ask when do you get off your work kkkk

After the immigration, I took an express train to KL Sentral Station. When I looked outside, it was very exotic and I could feel the hotness through the window. I arrived at Sentral station and waited for Jeo to pick me up. I was very glad that he actually came to the station even though he must be very busy to prepare the gig!!! We took a cab to the venue. KL looked pretty developed city and there are many different races. I knew Malaysia has many Muslims but I was surprised to see the Arabic letter on sign. At this point, I thought I made really smart choice to choose KL over Japan because I love to see and try new things :D


When I get off the cab and entered the venue, there was second culture shock!!!! It was like big restaurant and at the end of it, there is entrance door to the live club. When it comes to the punk venue, I’ve always expected some basement club located in seedy area of the town. WRONG!
Anyways, there was quite a lot of punks were hanging out, eating food. I was introduced to some local& Singaporian punks and chatted little while.. Man..I was very v~~ery tired.. I shouldn’t have drunk that much last night in Taiwan. And the weather!! I don’t want to bitch about the weather (It is stupid) but I am extremely weak at hot weather. And of course it was very hot in Malaysia haha! So I probably drank millions of ice tea (actually I needed beer so much).

Well..I met this girl named Ebit and she knows like everything in Korea!! Hahahah We had chat about Korea and cultural things.. It was very surprised to see foreigner knows about Korea so well even though they live in other part of the world. Maybe K-POP actually is advertising Korea somehow heheh. My Japanese punk friends are asking about KARA and my Taiwanese punk friends mention about Girls Generation’s legs thing hahahahah!! But it is way better than listen the name Kim Jung Ill or do you really eat dog shit whenever I said I am from Korea.

The show was supposed to start at 4PM but it didn’t get started around 6PM. Haha I don’t like punctuality when it comes to gig so it was cool. I looked through some merch table and bought couple of tapes. I wanted to buy some tour t-shirt and records but they sold all their stuff in Japan. There was only XS size of tour t-shirts left. I can’t even put my arm into those tiny shirts.

I respect my Malaysian friend’s life style and would like to do the same when I am staying their country BUT I couldn’t resist drinking beer HAHAHA!!! So I started to drink a beer, before first band geen naam starts to play. Not many people were during the live but I try not to miss any bands when I go to punk gig. They were actually good!! Total metal punk attack!!!! I was overly excited to see a band playing in Malaysia though hahah.

After them, it was Kathgor. They are not really my cup of tea but I have to mention about the female vocal. I usually don’t like female fronted bands because of scratchy high pitched voice. It makes my nails hurt (you know the sounds nail scratching on to the black board shit). But vocal of Kathgor??? She knows what she’s doing!!! Brutal as fuck!!!! I loved her voice so much BAGUS!!!

After Kathror, I drank again..again..and again~ haha. There are couple of people were drinking at the bar (not many!!). They were interested in talking to me cuz I am from different country so we had some funny conversation. Of course they were very nice and friendly. They offered me a drink. Like I said, I even sell my soul for free beer hahahaha!!! If it weren’t for Jeo, I would have been done so much embarrassing shit like I always do.
He saved my skin. Thanks Jeo!!

Anyway, I kinda don’t remember what the next band was. It was either Atomic death or Kahroshi
(Sorry, I have serious memory problem. My brain is kinda like swiss cheese now).
But I will write Atomic Death first haha!!! They played brutal Thrash!! They are sooo sooooooo good!! I was overly excited while their show haha!! I think I heard their split CD will come out next month?
Check them out!!!! Actually Atomic Death was my favorite band of this night.

Next band was Kahroshi (sp?). SHIT!! This band plays dark and heavy-moody-crusty 3 combos!! My favorite kind of music hehehe. They covered Hellshock too. Anyway, I didn’t know Malaysian punk scene or music before I came here, so I was very surprised to see a lot of interesting bands. I heard punk scene around SE asia is burning now but to experience is beyond my expectation! I feel so lucky to make this trip.

Finally, it is Nuclear Death Terror! Of course they played great and atmosphere was epic!! It was like a storm you know from start to the end. There was no rest hahaha!! Fucking Brutal!! But I have to tell this, I didn’t go to Malaysia JUST to see NDT. If international band comes to some place, I have better chance to see more awesome local bands and crowd and even band from another country because it is unusual event. That’s all. I was kinda sick and tired of hearing “Are you here for (band name)?”

Last band was Lifelock from Singapore. They play raw d-beat punk! It is always good to listen raw as fuck d-beat!! They were actually pretty awesome. I can’t wait to hear some stuff from their music. What did I do in Singapore?? Haha I doubt I go to Singapore anytime soon but If I have a chance, I will def check out more Singapore bands.

Ok, the show is officially over but there will be after party!!
I was talking to many people outside of the venue, and ran into Hisham from SMG. I’ve never met him in person but my Czech friend gave me his contact. Surprisingly he gave me bunch of split tapes!! How nice he is?? I checked them out when I got back to Korea and they fucking rules!! SMG seems very active band as well. I respect active band!! Pure Brutal Grindcore! Awesome!!!

Picture time..Say good bye time..Then we went to Jalan Allor(sp?). It is basically the street has full of restaurant outside. I love this kind of atmosphere!! I feel more comfortable eating outside then inside kkkkk Our table was full of the nicest local punks(Jeo,Atomic Death members,Tumin). We talk so many thing and eat yummy food. Sambal Sauce in my blood!!!!:D Why Malaysian food is so good?? I will miss this. Malaysian punks are extremely nice and friendly. They first seems to be shy but after we talk little bit more, they are very friendly. They even made fun of my accent hahahha.

Even though I didn’t drink that much as usual, I was extremely tired so I had to crash somewhere. Epiana drove us all to Jery’s record shop and I passed out immediately.. My first day in Kuala Lumpur was very intense and fun..I already started to miss these things while I was writing this diary.

Much Respect to all Malaysian Punks!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thanks for writing this article. I am also visiting KL soon, so the info on shows there is great.

    Can you tell me how I can find punk shows in Kuala Lumpur or in Seoul? I am about to visit both cities in the next few days, and I cannot find any information. I like bands like the Spiky Brats.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete