Monday, April 18, 2011

Nayoung says: Top ten gigs!!!!

Some so-called “old punk dudes” often say punk gig nowadays is not good enough compared to 70’s or 80’s but there is no way I can go to shows in 70’s or 80’s. I respect classic band but I think it is lame just to soak from the nostalgia and make light of all the active bands playing these days. As you may see from my travel diary and gig report, I like to see many bands that are new, old and the one I really like. Therefore, I would like to write about the best live TOP 10 so far!! First of all, I am more like emotional person rather than analytic person who really try to criticize everything. I don’t like the band merely based on music. So my top10 might look crappy but what the fuck, who does even give a shit?

10. KOMATOZ at Play Fast or Don’t 2010]
Actually KOMATOZ are one of the reasons I went to PFOD. I loved them so much when I listen to their records and read their interview on some Czech fanzine. I was so impressed by their idea and attitude so I even translated their interview in Korean for my personal blog. So there is no doubt I was super excited to see their live!! They played very early I think around 1 or 2PM. It is super early for the festival because many people must be recovering from the prob the worst hangover in their life from last night haha. But I was in front row and enjoy their entire shows (even sound checking)!! They play like metal punk style and it was so good. Even though there aren’t many crowd compared to other band due to early time, the atmosphere was epic. I think I will have plenty of chance to see them in future because they are very active and tour all the time! One day I hope they tour Asia too.

9. Systematic Death at The Know (Portland)
I think it was around 2008 they toured US. I was in Portland for my summer vacation and had chance to see them in Portland. I had never seen any Japanese hardcore band at that time and it was my first experience to see Japanese hardcore band. How weird is that? I live in the country which is the closest from Japan and had never had chance to see Japanese bands? Anyhow it is the fact. It isn’t very long time that i started to listen hardcore, punk music so I had little knowledge. Anyway, I was blown away to see their live and thought I need to go to Japan for the first time. Their live was full of energy. I felt like I was being charged like battery haha. And the atmosphere was awesome too. It was free show so lots of punks came to the show. I am kinda got used to see punks now but at that time It was just new experience just to see punks gathering in the same place. Strangely, I saw them 4 or 5 times after this show (of course in Japan) but I didn’t get to me like this one. They might have played better in Japan but like I said, I am not the person who says “They played suck this time” “they played better than last time” type of person. NEXT!

8.VIVISICK in Tokyo (Destino Final Final show)
Ok.. I heard about VIVISICK when I was in Brazil in 2007. There is a Brazilian band I really liked called Mukeka Dirato. I was hoping to see them in Brazil but what a shitty timing! They were touring JAPAN at that time. I was buying some records and then found the records they split with VIVISICK. Actually, when I first listened their records, I wasn’t that impressed. They are good but not FUDIDO!! territory. Anyway, I got to see their live when I was in Tokyo for the Destino Final tour, and I was like so shocked. SOOO GOOD!! They know exactly what they are doing and I couldn’t stop smile during whole show. After this, I always try to see their gig when I go to Japan. They are animal on the stage. Fucking INSANE!! You must see their live and meet them too. Totally punk minded super nice guys!! I hope to see their live in Korea before I die.

7.DESTINO FINAL in Gifu,Japan
Destino Final from Spain! I always loved Spanish punk bands so it is hard to miss these awesome Spanish d-beat monsters. I was pretty hesitate between Destino final and Extreme Noise Terror + World Burn to Death but I decided to go for this show. Consequentially, I was lucky enough to catch the both shows but even if I hadn’t’, I made really good choice. The venue was located in Gifu and it has been my favorite city since then. There is small venue looks like European squat and the show was held there. Everyone goes insane all the time and all my friends were made total chaos! I am so glad I got a chance to see them. I now certainly know it is very hard for me to see them one more time. I am going to play Destino Final and Invasion 12” right now.

6.AGE in Varning Montreal Fest (Montreal)
OK! One of my favorite Japanese bands ever!! I really liked their music when my friends first introduce AGE and I liked them even more the fact that they are from Niigata. I know this sounds kinda silly but some time I have some kind of special affection for certain area, city bands. Its my thing let it go. I saw them many times in Japan usually in Tokyo but for me the best of their live was at Varning. I mentioned about this horrible event occurred to me at that time in my previous post but luckily I could see them in live. AGE..What a great band!!! I really hope I will see their gig more and more!! I will make a short weekend trip next month to Niigata. Unfortunately AGE is not playing but I am so stoked to visit Niigata and see Blowback. Why all niigata bands so kicking ass? It is Mystery indeed.

5.DARGE at HUCKFINN,Nagoya,Japan
I think Darge is definitely the band Ive seen more than 10 times HAHA!! I go to Nagoya so many times to hangout with these guys. Super nice, totally open-minded punk attitude, hate bullshit more than anyone.. just totally awesomeness. I first met Rafael (Bassist) in person in 2009 when I went to Nagoya to see Hellshock. Since then, we’ve became very close friend so I started to go to Japan so many times (and I will visit Nagoya again next month) BUT I don’t like Darge just because they are good friend of mine. Their music is brutal as fuck. They changed their music style recently and it is even better than before. Fast, Dark, Brutal and powerful. It is insane. The one more thing I love about them is they are very active. Who doesn’t respect active band?? These guys are always doing this and planning, organizing that. It is totally awesome. They are still planning lots of things for this year. So you must keep your eyes wide open.

4.FY FAN (in Korea)
Ok, FYI, the country called Korea where I live may not exactly the place you want to live if you like punk and hardcore music. Many people whining about this but hey! It is brutal truth. Korea is very close to Japan (about one and half hours from Japan by flight) so you might think it would be similar.. WRONG!!!!!!!! Anyway, in 2009, Swedish band called FY FAN invaded Korea. I can’t still believe they actually came to Korea just to have a good time playing show. I helped their Korean tour and it was so much fun. They made long tour starting from Korea to Australia at that time and I wanted them to enjoy every moment while they are staying in Korea. They played 3 times and it was very brutal and insane shows. Everyone went nuts. This is so understandable since it is extremely rare for some good bands from oversea come to Korea so people must be so impressed by it. Kojang who runs this blog with me remembered this show as the best show he’s ever seen in Korea at that time. I really hoped this will be seed for inviting many bands who are touring Asia region but unfortunately it is still hibernation mode. They currently stop playing temporarily but you can check their ep. Man.. such a good memory!

3. HELLSHOCK in PDX
HELLSHOCK!! I love this band so much! I really like stenchcore so I must like this band haha. I first saw them when I stay in Portland in 2006 and love them so much since then. You know..Sometime you have some feelings for some bands that dragged you into new music. For me, Hellshock is the one. When I first saw them in punk show in Portland I was so impressed by their live and started to listen all the punks from old to recent one and collecting a vinlys. So of course Hellshock is very special band for me. I try to catch their live once in a year and it seems to work so far except last year. I went to Montreal but shitty travel agency fucked all this up so I couldn’t get to see them even though I flew to Montreal haha. Well maybe this year I hope I can see them. I think many people in Korea started to listen hellshock and stuff so I hope next time they tour Japan they could stop by Korea as well. It makes me smiling just to think that happened in future.


2. Hibernation at PFOD
Hibernation!!!!!!! Who doesn’t know Hibernation is awesome!? They are probably the biggest reason I went to Czech last year. I was hesitating some of festivals around the world and when I saw this flyer Hibernation from Greece playing? I was like “ I am so fucking going to Czech!!!”.
I have only listened to their records so I was so curious what it is like when I actually see them. I was blown away when I see their live. Of course there was no disappointed at all. I have to admit that I appreciate their live so much because Hibernation is the band which is really really hard for me to see unless I go to Greece. Maybe even if I went there, It would be still hard to catch their show because I think they don’t play that often. Even though there was lots of good and big bands played at the festival, my favorite was Hibernation (maybe Counterblast too? hahaha)!!! I know I probably wouldn’t have chance to see them in my country but if you have chance (especially those who lives in Europe), please check them out!


1.TRAGEDY in PDX
I assume that recently tragedy became so huge and there are many extremely ‘cool’ people feel like it is not cool to like famous band and shit but whatever. I am not really happy with people those who make fun of people who like tragedy and listen their records as newbie poseur shit. Anyway, I love Tragedy like many people do and I can say they are one of my favorite bands. I can’t still forget the night in 2006, I saw them in small punk venue in Portland. It was some kind of local festival and I saw the tragedy for the first time. Their live was good enough making me deeply moved. I can’t go to Portland or Europe every year to see them but I always eager to see their show. You know I feel like my heart is tearing apart when I see they play in like US or Europe because I know I am not able to see them there hehe. So.. Tragedy is top 1 best live I’ve ever seen so far!


I feel so bad I couldn’t include more bands(like Counter Blast, Deviated Instinct, E.N.T) I thought live was fucking awesome but I am already exhausted to right this much stuff in English. I hope this list changes soon!! That means I will see more good shows from now on heh. For the person like me who lives in wasteland for diy punk and hard core music, South Korea, it is really hard to see good bands from all over the world and even local one. I fully understand people in Korea always bitching about there are lack of good band and touring band but I think sometime it is good to travel around the world and meet new people and see the band you liked from long time ago. Seeing new things can be inspirations and It can be good motivation to start to do something for my local scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment